Photography by: http://agenciadenoticias.unal.edu.co/
Current Position: Full Professor, Department of Geosciences and Environment, Faculty of Mines, National University of Colombia, Medellín Campus.
- Civil Engineer, National University of Colombia, Headquarters Medellin.
- Master in Utilization of Hydraulic Resources, National University of Colombia, Medellin Headquarters.
- Master of Science in Engineering, University of California, Davis, CA, United States.
- Ph.D. in Hydraulic Resources, National University of Colombia, Headquarters Medellin.
- Post-Doctorate, Hydro-Ecology. University of Colorado, Boulder, CO, United States.
Since 1998, he has been a member of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), the world organization of scientists that received the Nobel Peace Prize in 2007, being one of the Principal Authors of the Latin American chapter for Reports No. 3 (2001), 4 (2007) and 5 (2014) of the IPCC.
Between 2001 and 2002 he was chosen as “Visiting Fellow” by the Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences of the University of Colorado, in Boulder, United States. He has been Visiting Researcher at the Center for Hydrology and Ecology of Wallingford, in the United Kingdom, and at the National Center for Atmospheric Research, in Boulder, Colorado, United States. Professor Poveda Jaramillo is a Full Member of the Colombian Academy of Exact, Physical and Natural Sciences, and is a Corresponding Member of the Royal Academy of Exact, Physical and Natural Sciences of Spain.
In addition, it is part of the scientific management committees of the following international national research programs:
- Elected in 2015 as a member of the international scientific management committee of the Research Program on Interactions between Global Water and Energy Cycles (GEWEX): http://www.gewex.org/
- Elected in 2001 as a member of the international scientific management committee of the Large Scale Experiment of the Biosphere and the Atmosphere in the Amazon (LBA). 2001-2015: http://lba2.inpa.gov.br/
- Elected in 2006 as a member of the international committee of the “Global Change and Human Health” program of the Earth System Science Partnership (ESSP). 2006-2014: http://www.futureearth.org/projects/gechh-global-environmental-change-and-human-health-2006-2014
- Elected in 2010 as a member of the international scientific management committee of the AMAZALERT Program – Impacts of Climate Change and Changes in Land Uses in the Amazon. 2010 2015: http://www.eu-amazalert.org
- Elected in 2014 as a member of the international scientific management committee of the Research Program on Climate Processes in the Intra-American Seas (IASCLIP). From 2014 to date: https://www.eol.ucar.edu/field_projects/iasclip
- Elected in 2015 as a member of the scientific management committee of the International Council for Science, Regional Office for Latin America and the Caribbean (ICSU-ROLAC). From 2015 to date: http://www.icsu.org/latin-america-caribbean/about-icsu
- Elected in 2010 as a member of the international scientific management committee of the Research Program “Vulnerability and Adaptation to the Climatic Extremes in the Americas” (VACEA). 2010-2016: http://www.parc.ca/vacea
- Elected in 2017 as a member of the international scientific direction committee of the RIOCCADAPT Project – “Evaluation of Vulnerability Actions and Adaptation to Climate Change in the RIOCC Countries (Ibero-American Network of Climate Change Offices)”. www.rioccadapt.com
- Elected in 2014 as a member of the international scientific management committee of the Risk and Disasters Committee of the International Council for Science (ICSU) for Latin America and the Caribbean: https://www.icsu.org/regions/rolac
- Appointed in 2016 by the Colombian Academy of Exact, Physical and Natural Sciences to join the group of scientists and experts of the Inter-American Network of National Academies of Sciences (IANAS) – Food and Nutrition Security for the Americas: http://www.ianas.org/index.php/programs/food-security/622
- Appointed in 2013 as a member of the Editorial Board of Reviewers of the journal Frontiers in Atmospheric Science.
- Elected as a member of the External Advisory Committee of the World Wildlife Fund – Colombia (WWF). http://www.wwf.org.co
- Since 2001 he is a member of the Scientific Advisory Board of Parque Explora, Medellín, Colombia: http://www.parqueexplora.org
- Appointed in 2015 as member of the Committee of Protected Areas of the Colombian Academy of Exact, Physical and Natural Sciences: http://www.accefyn.org.co
- Designed in 2017 by the Colombian Academy of Exact, Physical and Natural Sciences as representative in the Network “Sustainable Development Solution Network-Amazonia” (SDSN-Amazonia). 2017 to date: https://www.sdsn-amazonia.org/
He has received on six occasions the prizes awarded by the Alejandro Ángel Escobar Foundation, the most important recognitions of science in Colombia, thus: three first prizes in the years 1999, 2000 and 2007 and 3 Honorable Mentions. In 2001 he received the “Lorenzo Codazzi” Award for “Excellence in Engineering”, awarded by the Colombian Society of Engineers.
Prof. Poveda has authored or co-authored 7 books, more than 200 peer-reviewed articles published in national and international journals, and more than 200 presentations at international scientific conferences on hydrology, meteorology, oceanography, hydroclimatology, water resources, climate change and climate variability and its social, environmental and economic impacts, including energy generation, agriculture, water supply, natural disasters, and the transmission of tropical diseases.
links of interest: